Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Saving Money Mommy's Tuesday Tip- Creating a Grocery List

Yes, it's Wednesday. I'm a day late with my Tuesday Tip because I was mystery shopping on Monday and grocery shopping yesterday in between everything else like changing diapers, driving the kids around, cooking, cleaning, etc. etc. You get the idea.

I am going to explain to you how I prepare for a weekly grocery shopping trip to Publix. I generally shop at both Publix and Aldi each week. I sometimes get deals at Sweetbay but don't make that a regular weekly stop.

Hot Coupon World always posts a sneak preview of the Publix sale each week. I either check that out or wait for the Publix circular to arrive on Wednesday with the newspaper. I keep a pre-printed list on my refrigerator with the most popular items I keep in the house and we check off anything that we need. I take that list and go back to Hot Coupon World to add more items. I see which items are the best deals based on the coupons I have or ones I can print off the internet. I then add those items to my list with the quantity I need to buy written next to the item. I also add any additional items I need for meals. As I add items to my list, I pull the coupons and put them in a pile. Since I shop at the same Publix every week, I know the layout of the store and have a particular route I follow. I organize the coupons based on that route and put them in an legal size envelope.

After I'm done, I color code the list. I color the produce and anything around the produce section "green". When I'm shopping and leave the produce section, I check my list to make sure I haven't missed anything in "green". I mark the shelf items "yellow" and the dairy and frozen foods "blue". It helps me having to backtrack through the store if I missed an item. I usually shop with at least two if not three children in the shopping cart, so I try to be as efficient as possible. I usually pack them a baggie with snacks and activities to keep them busy when I shop. They also enjoy the complimentary Publix cookies and help Mommy out with finding "blinkies", tearpad coupons and coupon books. They are very good at that!

It does take me a couple of hours to get my prep work done, but as you can see by how much money I save, it is worth it!

Go out today and get a great deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment