Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Saving Money Mommy's Tuesday Tip- Education

So you see the topic "Education" and you're probably wondering where I'm going with this, right?  I have saved money by learning how to do things I used to pay people to do for me. 

We bought our oldest son's cakes for his first and second birthdays.  That cost was easily over $50.00.  When our second son turned one and money was tighter, I decided to make him a birthday cake.  It tasted very good but was aesthetically unappealing.  I decided to take cake decorating classes at Michael's.  There are some upfront costs involved with the class fees and supplies, but you will save lots of money in the long run.  My cakes look so great now, I even make some for friends.  I have three children now and lots of birthdays coming up.  I'm happy I learned how to make the cakes myself and save money.

Another class I took was a sewing class at JoAnn's Fabrics.  I had a sewing machine and was deathly afraid of going near it.  The class gave me the confidence to take on many sewing projects.  I sewed most of the curtains in my home.  I've also made some pajama pants, a bedskirt, tablecloths, pillow covers and other items.  Can you imagine how much money I would have paid to buy all of these items?  There are lots of deals on fabric out there.  Take advantage of the JoAnn's coupons in the Sunday paper and the $1 and $2 fabric bins at Walmart.

Go out today and get educated (and get a great deal of course!).

No comments:

Post a Comment